Thesis project in industry Programme
Master thesis in industry
The master’s thesis project may be carried out in collaboration with industry, other universities, public research institutions or space agencies such as ESA, NASA. The thesis should cover a scientific topic within the scope of the ISM (such as space engineering, space informatics, space business and finance, or space entrepreneurship). The thesis work is typically carried out at the company/institution under the supervision of two thesis advisors, one from the company/institution and one academic advisor from the University.
Benefits for companies
The company benefits by defining a master’s thesis project that is of high interest to the company and attracting talent. Potential positive results of the project for companies include:
- Assistance in advancing or initiating innovative projects in the Space domain: students can contribute to projects,
- Access to specialist knowledge: students can bring their advanced skills and knowledge in space engineering and business and put them to practical use,
- Establish a link to specialists at the University: students will have a domain expert as advisor at the University,
- Focus in-depth on specific problems that the company would like to investigate and explore solutions,
- Potential hire once the student has graduated.
Checklist for companiesBefore the project
- Identify one or more thesis topics: title, short abstract, possible references, advisor at the company
- Thesis can be communicated to the students by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identify suitable student from the ISM programme and elaborate the project with the student and academic advisor,
- Once the thesis project is approved by the ISM study director, an agreement is signed between the University of Luxembourg, the student, your company,
- Define the time/compensation (if any) to the student for the project as well as workplace, access to premises and necessary support to the student.
- The company advisor provides guidance and support during the project
- The company advisor can consult the academic advisor as necessary
- Sufficient time needs to be allocated to documentation of the work in the form of a thesis. The examination of the work is based on the thesis.
- The company supervisor will be part of a grading jury (two experts from the University of Luxembourg consisting of the academic supervisor and the secondary supervisor to give feedback, as well as an independent reviewer).
Benefits for students
Completing the final thesis in cooperation with a company is a great way to kick-start the student’s career: this will open up exciting opportunities directly in the industry.
Master’s theses in the company have the great advantage that they are very practical and application-related, among other benefits:
- Upgrade the CV with practical experience: students will have the opportunity to apply the skills gained in the ISM courses and benefit from interacting with experienced and knowledgeable practitioners in a focused project. This experience is highly attractive to potential employers.
- Students are responsible for the thesis project: the thesis project is independent work and the student is the lead researcher providing valuable experience.
- Professional Network: at the start of a career, it’s essential to create new contacts. This can be an opportunity for students to start building a network in a company and potentially be their next career step.
30 ECTS credits are granted to the master’s thesis in the ISM programme and shall be completed within 6 months from the starting date.
Checklist for studentsBefore the project
- Update your CV with your latest achievements
- Solicit potential thesis projects by contacting companies, teachers in the ISM program or the ISM study director expressing your interest to conduct a thesis project in industry in a specific domain
- Please note that the student must play an active role in the definition of the thesis project, this process is driven by the student
- Once a thesis topic is defined, identify a suitable academic advisor for the project. It is good to have: a title, abstract, and industry contact person for this purpose
- Elaborate the project together with the industrial and academic advisors
- Submit the thesis project for approval by the ISM study director
- Sign the agreement between the University of Luxembourg, yourself, and the company
- Make a detailed time plan with the support of your advisors
- Regular meetings should be conducted with your industrial advisor, it can be good to document the meetings
- Keep your academic advisor at the University updated on developments or any issues you might face
- Organise a joint meeting with your advisors as necessary
- Your thesis will be graded by a jury composed by the University and the company’s experts
- By now, you are ready to take the next step in your career, good luck!