AdmissionsWhat are the application requirements?
All requirements are listed on the Requirements page.
Yes, but we recommend reviewing the Study programme prior to applying.
Professional experience, especially in the space sector, is an asset. Experts with several years of experience working in the aerospace, mechanical, electrical, industrial, or robotics engineering sectors looking to re-skill themselves are also eligible to enrol.
Not at all. Students and professionals aiming to change careers and/or retrain to enter the space industry sector are welcome to apply, provided that they commit to complete the required assignments as any other student.
Please view the dedicated Application page.
All application deadlines are listed on the Application page. Please note that the visa application procedure for non-EU students may take up to four months. We kindly ask non-European students to apply well ahead of the beginning of the academic year (September).
All motivation and reference letters need to be in English. The copy of the diploma or certificate of achievement and the copy of all transcripts obtained for the diploma (with apostille or double legalisation) will need to be accompanied by a certified translation if they are written in a language other than French, German or English. To find a sworn translator, we recommend getting in touch with the Embassy of your country of origin to Luxembourg (a list is available here).
No, not for the moment, but in the near future we plan to open the courses to guest students if the logistics allow it.
Online applicationCan I ask my references to send the letters to you directly?
No, all documents are to be uploaded during the online application process.
Once you have completed the online application, please follow the steps outlined in the Application page to send all additional documents via PDF. Your application will be reviewed by the selection committee, and you will receive an answer within a few weeks. In case you have been accepted, we kindly ask you to proceed to the payment of the tuition fee for the first semester to confirm your enrollment.
Yes, you can apply for the next academic year.
This is the ISM’s new digital home, designed to provide you with all the information you need in one place. Here, you can find everything there is to know about the programme, discover the Master’s state-of-the-art space labs, and get to know all the lecturers. The previous webpage is still active on the University’s main website.
Costs & FundingWhat are the tuition fees for the ISM?
For both European and non-European students, tuition fees for the Interdisciplinary Space Master amount to 2000 € per semester, to be paid at the beginning of each semester. There are no additional fees.
We invite you to review the dedicated Budget page on the University website.
The Government of Luxembourg offers scholarships to students fulfilling a specific set of criteria. Further information can be found on the website Guichet.lu
A number of Luxembourgish, Belgian and German organisations and institutions offer grants to students from these countries. A non-exhaustive list is available here.
All students enrolled at the University of Luxembourg are authorised to work during their studies, irrespective of their nationality, during the school holidays (40 hours/week) and/or throughout the year (up to 15 hours/week).
After completing their degree, EU citizens enjoy freedom of movement within the EU, giving them the right to work and reside in any EU Member State, subject to certain conditions. Further information on work and residence permits in Luxembourg for EU citizens can be found here.
After completing their degree, non-EU citizens may apply for a residence permit in Luxembourg in order to carry out a professional activity. Further information on work and residence permits in Luxembourg for non-EU citizens can be found here.
StudyingCan I study part-time?
Yes, under certain conditions part-time students are admitted to the ISM, and allowed to complete their studies in up to 8 semesters. Due to the intensity of the programme, however, applications from full-time students have priority over those of part-time students.
About 80% of all ISM courses take place on the Kirchberg campus (Luxembourg City), where the five laboratories are also located. The remaining 20% of the courses are held on the Belval campus (Esch-sur-Alzette).
The two campuses are well connected by public transport (tram, buses and trains), which is completely free of charge in the entire country of Luxembourg. There is also a shuttle bus between the two campuses.
The vast majority of the courses take place in person on the University campuses. The students may also be required to attend online sessions held by external lecturers.
The final semester of the ISM consists of a project to be conducted at a company or at the University.